Students with a wide range of emotional difficulties can be qualified for SPED services in this category. Emotional disabilities include, but are not limited to: depression, oppositional defiance disorder, anxiety disorder, bipolar or manic-depression, conduct disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder and/or psychotic disorders.

Having an advocate collaborate with you and the school to conduct a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and create a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) are important steps in creating a supportive IEP for a child with an emotional disability.

Supporting a kid with emotional disabilities through positive behavior reinforcement sends him/her the right message: you are valued! A child with emotional disabilities needs an education plan designed specifically around her/his needs. This plan may include in-school counseling and/or other related services.

If you suspect your child has an emotional disability, contact Julie. She can help you request testing and seek eligibility for special education services in the school system.

As a Special Education Advocate, Julie can also help you identify the services to request in your child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 and write specific learning goals, tailored to address your student’s emotional disability.